Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Long-Range Plan for Technology

Reviewing the Long-Range Plan for Technology was an eye-opening experience that gave me hope about the future of educational technology in Texas and also made me aware of the immense amount of work that accomplishing this vision will demand.

I definitely respect the thoroughness of this report. It communicates the demand for implementation of educational technology by stressing the reality of our global economy; explaining the nature of today's learners; and expressing teacher opinions concerning technology in the classroom.

The most important thing I learned from reading this report is that the success of this vision lies in the hands of many different parties, including the state and federal governments; regional service centers; individual campuses and their administration and leaders; teachers; universities; and communities and the private sector. All of these groups must be made to realize that they are stakeholders and will be affected by the technological readiness of today's students.

As an instructional leader who is guiding technology use and integration at a campus, I now realize that I'd be responsible for budgeting for and monitoring a technology plan that improves student learning; offering students a variety of distance learning technologies; and providing opportunities for relevant and timely staff development. Among the most important of these responsibilities is staff development. In completing the surveys and reviewing this report, I am more aware of the importance of teaching teachers how to use technology in their instruction. It's so much more than just knowing how to navigate a computer and run software; it's about effectively using that computer and the software to enrich students' learning. This is a tall order and teachers need help!

No comments:

Post a Comment